TEDxDiliman: The Future
Last September 15, CANVAS organized the second serving of TEDxDiliman with the theme, The Future. Just like the first serving last year, the event was held at the Malcolm Theater, UP College of Law. The theater was not overly crowded when the event started. It is due to the fact that only 100 registrations were approved by the organizers. Nonetheless, the line-up of speakers is impressive and the topics are diverse and worth listening for.
Brief insights and lessons learned on every speaker and topic:
1. Benjamin Dela Pena on The Future of Cities -- Cities are about the people who are living in it
2. Atty. Ted Te on The Future of Human Rights Law -- Reinvent the way how law is being taught.
3. Sen. Leticia Ramos Shahani on The Future of Philippine as Maritime Power -- In diplomacy, there is no permanent friend or foe, only permanent national interest
4. Direk Joey Reyes on The Future of Mass Media -- The introduction of social media technologies made man isolated from the real world and created a virtual world where he calls the shots.
5. Atty. Tony Oposa on The Future of Flood. It is easy to earn but money but it is hundred time difficult to make a difference.
6. Jaedmark Tordecillas on The Future of Philippine Sports. One doesn't need to have an award or trophy to be a champion (referring to Ginerbra's never say die spirit)
7. Carlos Celdran on The Future of the Past. You cannot find the vibrancy, soul and personality that Manila has elsewhere.
The audience were treated as well with live musical performance by students from the Philippine School of Arts . The kids (violinists, guitarist) were all master of handling chords. Ang bibilis ng mga daliri mag-strum. And to cap off the eventful day, the participant were treated to a sumptuous Thai food dinner.
As of this writing, TEDxManila will be conducted sometime this December 2012. But I am already looking forward for the next TEDxDiliman event next year.